This is the post for January 6, 2016.
Readings for January 6
I’ve gathered some resources that will help you with whatever you proposed. Read the information that pertains to what you have proposed.
Tips for Job-App Materials slide presentation (applies to nearly everyone)
Common resume mistakes (applies to nearly everyone, not just resumes)
- For LinkedIn:
- 5 Essential Tips for a KILLER LinkedIn Summary
- Your LinkedIn Profile Summary: How to Distinguish Yourself from Your Company
- How To Improve Your LinkedIn Background Summary
- The One Thing You’re Doing Wrong on LinkedIn
- LinkedIn Cheat Sheet: 5 Tips For A Professional Profile
- LinkedIn: What To Include In Your Work History
- For a resume:
- Resume Objectives (from VT Career Services)
- Resumes and vitae guide (from VT Career Services)
- Resumes 101: Swap a Stale Objective for a Fresh Branding Statement
- Resume Tips (from VT HR)
- Avoid the Top 10 Resume Mistakes
- If you are writing both a resume and a LinkedIn profile:
Work for January 6
Continue working on Project 3. Assume your proposal will be accepted. Watch for a reply to your proposal by Thursday morning at the latest. Be sure to check the comments. If you need to make any adjustments to your plans, I will tell you about it there.
Be ready to post a draft version of Project 3 for peer review by 6 PM on Thursday. Peer review feedback is due by noon on Friday. The final version of your project is due by 11:59 PM on Friday.
If you have any questions about the assignments, email me and I will reply asap. This afternoon, I’ll be visiting mom in the hospital again, but I will reply from my phone if you have an urgent question.